Jon and I both worked with Kristin during the NPGL’s amateur GRID tournament – remember GRID? We put together a team of misfits and went out to LA to compete, and we actually did pretty well. We took second overall, which meant that we got an automatic bid to the next year’s tournament. Still waiting for that invite…
Kristin has gone on to make two CrossFit Games appearances with OC3 Black (in 2017) and CrossFit Mayhem Independence (in 2018). She will compete with CrossFit Mayhem Freedom in the 2019 season – which is shaping up to have quite the interesting structure.
Todd & Jon have a conversation with Kristin and discuss:
- How training is planned and structured at CrossFit Mayhem (Hint: There are minimal schedules and Rich programs every day on the fly)
- How Kristin went from starting CrossFit from distance running to competing at the CrossFit Games twice with OC3 Black and with CrossFit Mayhem Independence
- How important team dynamics are during competition – and how to prevent emotion from getting out of control during a competition
- Google Podcasts
- Or stream here:
- If you’re enjoying the show, why not a leave a review? It makes a difference in terms of other people finding the show.
- [0:14] How did Kristin end up at CrossFit Mayhem? And the anxiety of “trying out.”
- [7:03] Commuting several hours to compete with OC3 in 2016
- [13:19] Kristin’s dietary restrictions
- [19:44] Getting started with competing in CrossFit
- [23:42] What actually happens at Mayhem on a daily basis (There are no schedules)
- [34:53] Mayhem athletes mostly train individually – so how do they develop the team communication skills necessary to compete?
- [46:36] How is Mayhem approaching the changes to the 2019 CrossFit Games season?
- [52:21] How do Mayhem athletes work on their own individual weaknesses while still training as a group?